Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wiki - #16

In Dictionary.com, the first definition of the word "control" is to exercise restraint or direction over; dominate; command.

Control is the antithesis of the Wiki world and that is the biggest challenge for me. I tend to like that control thing. ;-)

For this discovery exercise, we were asked to read about Wikis, look at some library wikis, then blog about our findings.

It is interesting to see how other libraries are using Wikis and to think about how we might use them. The possiblities seem to be as big as the imagination. I especially like the idea of using Wikis to create and update staff manuals and policy/procedure documents. Writing collaboratively on that kind of thing would bring out the best ideas.

In fact, in the August 2008 issue of The Good Stuff, the quarterly magazine of our own North Dakota Library Association, the TechTips & More column features a story about how the staff at the Harley E. French Library of the Health Sciences at UND is converting their staff manuals to a Wiki format. If you haven't already read this article, do it now! They are using MediaWiki, a free wiki software application, for their project. I think we could adopt this strategy for our own BSC manuals. It is a wonderful way to collaborate on writing documents that are always works in progress.

There will also be a program on Wikis at the 2008 NDLA Conference. Rita Ennen of Stoxen Library at Dickinson State University will present Great Collaboration with Wikis on Thursday, September 25, from 3:30 to 5 p.m. I think I will go! The program description, which you can also see in the August 2008 issue of The Good Stuff, sounds like a perfect way to learn more about this topic.

I also liked what St. Joseph County Public Library in South Bend, Indiana, is doing with subject guides. We currently have several pathfinders on our BSC Library Web site. Converting them to a Wiki format is something we should consider. I have also been collecting links to good, credible Web sites for a very long time. Perhaps starting a Wiki of Favorite or Recommended Web Sites would be a way to get this information to library users.

I am excited to learn more about Wikis and implementing Wikis at our library. I'm even rethinking my anti-Wikipedia stance. Although the information there may not be completely credible or unbiased because it is written by volunteers, who may or may not be specialists or experts, it can be a great place to start a research project.

2 comments:

Liz Mason said...

I think someone from UND suggested that there be an ODIN/ALEPH Wiki. It would great if, once questions were answered that topic be added to a Wiki that we in ODINLAND could all use.

Marlene Anderson said...

That is a great idea! Maybe it needs a little push at the next ODIN Advisory Council meeting.