Thursday, April 23, 2009

In Search of the Perfect Filing System

Irving E. Rockwood hit the nail on the head with his editorial in the May 2009 issue of Choice. Despite describing himself as someone who is a "compulsive neatnik, someone who absolutely can't abide clutter," he admits to using the vertical pile filing system for his office files. Why? Because it is so difficult to create the basic set of categories needed to organize the materials without first examining the complete set of materials to be filed. I can identify!

You see, I, too, use the vertical pile filing system in my office even though I am quite a different animal at home. There, my closets are in ROYGBIV (rainbow) order and my books are shelved by subject (in an arrangement that is somewhat analagous to the Dewey Decimal system). I also once kept the spices in my cupboards in alphabetical order, but had to give that up in order to capitalize on having a husband who likes to cook, but isn't into alphabetizing. :-)

Clicking on the title of this posting will take you to the editorial. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Liz Mason said...

I was happy to see that this editorial was still available online. I have come across the problem of filing by topic or key actors too. I once had all my email sort into files by staff member who sent it. That organization scheme did not last long. For me sorting out by topic is much better, even though some topics are one shot wonders. I would never consider myself a "neatnik" but I do like to have an organized office. I don't consider reaching critical mass of horizontal files a "filing crisis" just a time to file. :)