Tuesday, September 16, 2008

You Too Can YouTube - #20

This exercise was fun. I had viewed a few videos on YouTube before, but this was a chance to explore the site in a little more depth. It seems as if there is a video for every topic under the sun. Search terms I tried included library and libraries, North Dakota, and Bismarck State College. Each search brought back results.

For me, the most effective videos were the ones that were short and to the point. The small screen experience really doesn't lend itself to lengthy presentations. I started watching a couple of interview format videos, but stoppped before they were over. The settings for both videos were sterile, the videos were too long, and the interview format itself proved to be rather uninteresting. I think video creators need to aim for both brevity and action for small screen viewing.

If we were to do a BSC Library video, I would aim to keep it lively and fun and short. A traditional tour of the library would not engage viewers for long, but a fun "Meet the Librarians" kind of video would likely keep them watching and bring them into the library to meet us in person.

There are some features on the YouTube site that would enhance our library web site. I especially liked the community section, which included things like a forum for questions/answers, a blog, a place to post contest info, and a "TestTube" for getting help with ideas.

I also liked YouTube's style. It is fun and folksy and makes you want to keep reading. For example, the Community Guidelines area starts with a statement about respecting the YouTube Community: "We're not asking for the kind of respect reserved for nuns, the elderly, and brain surgeons. We mean don't abuse the site. Every cool new community feature on YouTube involves a certain level of trust. We trust you to be responsible, and millions of users respect that trust. Please be one of them." YouTube communicates important information without being heavy-handed. Perhaps that's a style we should try to develop for our web site.

I decided to upload a video on BSC's energy education program to my blog. I think this is a very effective promotional tool.

No comments: